Saturday, March 16, 2013

Committing to the Walt Disney World Marathon


I am by no means a runner. I very occasionally get out for a jog, usually when I am feeling particularly unhealthy. I usually make resolutions about getting fit, run for a few weeks and then fall off the bandwagon. Early this year my wife suggested that I make a goal of running a runDisney event, specifically the Walt Disney World Marathon. The idea appealed to me because

1) I am a big Disney fan and I have always thought it would be fun to run a runDisney race at Disney World, and

2) If I commit to running a marathon I will have to stick to the training through fear of not being able to finish.

So the decision was made! I’m committing to running and (hopefully) finishing the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon. All 42kms -Yikes!  A big challenge that will test me physically and mentally. Hopefully it will also improve my health and fitness.

For a while I have also wanted to do something that would help people, particularly kids, less fortunate than me visit a Disney park. So I have decided to use this personal challenge as a way to raise money for Make-A-Wish. A little over a year ago we had to take our young daughter to the Children’s Hospital for some tests. Fortunately our daughter is fine and healthy but I was moved by some of the seriously sick, and brave, children we encountered while we were there. It really brought home to me the importance of the work of organisations like Make-A-Wish.  If you’d like to support my fundraising efforts you can make a donation through the link on the right of this blog.

There are 10 months until Marathon weekend, and if you are interested I invite you to follow my journey through this blog. I’m sure there will be ups and downs along the way. I have no idea if I can run a marathon – but there is one way to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment